The CashDuck Blog

Get the inside scoop on what's going on at CashDuck.com!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Those crazy, overzealous affiliate managers

For most every network I sign up with, I get assigned an "affiliate manager" - a person whose job it is to ensure that I make money, because then they make money. (I think most of these people work on commission.) So some of them are pretty zealous. I'm having an interesting experience with a couple particular managers, who want to make sure that I start putting up their offers.

With one I've been emailing back and forth as she wanted to know some more about my site and I had questions for her. Then I asked her which offers were incentivizable (ie which offers am I allowed to pay you for doing) and she sent me three offers - two of which I already have from other networks and one which I don't want to run. So I replied saying I didn't plan to run those, and commented that I had tried to login and look at the offers but the link on the site was not working. Today I get an email back with, why don't you want to run these offers? (Maybe cause they aren't good?) and saying that most of their offers weren't incentivizable. That's pretty much all I need to hear, because if they only have maybe five offers that are incentivizable and none of them are all that great, there's no point in holding onto that network. Plus, they have a $100 minimum cashout and they pay NET60 (which means that they pay for a month's accrual 60 days later) which I think is unreasonable. After all this is business - I'm not going to hold up payments to my users because I haven't gotten paid, but this network holds MY payment until they get paid from their advertisers (which I can guarantee you don't pay NET60.) I think that's just bad business practice. If you don't get paid, you don't work with those people again, that's all.

A second very zealous affiliate manager called me and spent twenty minutes on the phone with me telling me how wonderful his company's offers were, and how they've been extensively tested to ensure that they get really great click rates and what not - although basically I don't care because CashDuck users are going to be evaluating whether they want to click on something based on what the offer is and whether they think it's worth their time, not how great the graphics are. He spent several minutes saying how they had great campaigns and totally unique offers, instead of those OTHER networks which just recycle other networks' offers. So I "uh huh"-ed through the whole thing (which includes a lengthy chat about how great he thought New York was and how he emailed his girlfriend when she was sitting across the room) and he set up another appointment to call me this afternoon. Well, I get an email from him with a couple of their offers (no way to put on tracking variables either, which is how I know who did what offer so they can be properly credited) and he says that he'd like to see some numbers on these by the end of the week, and THEN he can tell me how much they can pay. That's not real good for CashDuck because I need to know how much they pay before I can set a payout rate for you guys! I'm not going to get people to fill out this offer if it turns out it pays 10 cents, that's not worth it. And they don't seem to have a site where I can look at the rest of their offers either. Some of these networks are very email-list focused - it's all about cost per thousand impressions and click through rates and what have you. I think this guy might have just been trying to get some more business even though his network isn't really right for the type of site I have. (Although he did cheerily tell me he thought I "had something there" and we could maybe in the future talk about how I might use their services to get more traffic. Um, probably not.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home